Sunday, August 5, 2007

What to do on a rainy day?

I'm still having an major love affair........with old barns! I just can't get enough of them and even came home from the library with 3 more books of them. That will keep me busy for quite some time! I even asked my cousin (a big farmer in this area) if he knew of any unique barns with lots of character around this area. He couldn't think of any at the time, but I could see the wheels turning in this mind. I am sure he will think of a few by next week! I just may be out taking pictures during the week I am off work this month!

I DO have a new "project" that I vowed from the beginning I wouldn't do, but the girls at work sort of drew me into it, and it all came about from tramping through our woods looking for milkweed! I am now the proud mama of a baby Monarch catapiller! The girls at work have been "harvesting" monarch butterflies all summer and was having trouble finding the milkweed that they feast on. I said I would look in our woods for some and in looking at the leaves, trying not to take one that was "occupied", I overlooked and plucked one leaf that had a baby catapiller on it. Instead of casting it aside (none of the girls wanted another one to care for), I now have my own butterfly box and am "nurturing" this catapiller through to the butterfly stage. That means I will have to go out and regularly find milkweed for the next month until it goes into the chrysallis stage. No problem. We have plenty at the back of our woods! Anyway, I just may do some sketching of my little fella ....so much more fun to sketch the process rather than take photos!

Its a rainy afternoon and I plan to sit and do some sketching. I have started another sketch like the one of the girl and lamb. The proportions of the first drawing was pretty bad and I love this subject enough to try it again. Here's  a poem that would go great with the picture:

What can I give Him, poor as I am?
If I were a shepherd, I would bring Him a lamb;
If I were a wise man, I would do my part;
Yet what can I give Him? ---
Give Him my heart.

10 comments:

Meinhild Selbach said...

Hello Joy,
I really like your art and I am amazed about all the details you put into your barns.
Do you know the author of the poem? i really like it. Is it from a christian song?
Greetings from France
Meinhild (inselfan54)

Judybec said...

had to check out your blog when I saw the Amish... thought you might live near by. I Live in Lancaster PA and we have lots of Amish here too. I enjoy your drawings ... lots of nice detail.

Jim Bumgarner said...

Hooray for your barns and birds and all your sketches. And thank you for the kind comments on my sketchblog; I really like barns and birds, but my real obsession is drawing people's faces. I used to live where there were fantatic barns everywhere; but alas, we moved and all we have now are sagebrush and rolling hills.

Sue said...

Your drawings are great. What wonderful work you do. Barns are so fun - so many different kinds. Keep up the good work.
-Sue aka icemoosey

Tami said...

You've done an excellent job with these barns! I thought I recognized the barn from "pen and Ink Techniques" Great book, I've done some work out of it, want to get back to it sone of these days...

Lynn said...

Your barns are just beautiful with exquisite details. I really like the addition of the cow.

Anonymous said...

love the detailed work. your barns are beautiful. h

MD said...

What detailed drawings!! Great work. Thank you for visiting and leaving such a nice comment! Enjoyed looking at your art work. Will call again for sure.
MD

Anonymous said...

Your barns are so beautiful! It's great to watch your progress. Looking forward to seeing your caterpillar sketches.

Debbie said...

I love old barns too. I always have. Pictures, drawings, oh and real ones. I will share with you some of the pictures I have of the old barn my Great Grandfather built on the homestead in one of my blogs here soon!