Saturday, August 11, 2007

Woodys & Nutties & Hummers, Oh My!

The feed I have been putting out for the birds is finally paying off! As I sat in the recliner this afternoon, I could see that Nuthatches and Woodpeckers finally found the thistleseed and suet I put on the big pine out front. But I was most amazed with all the Hummers that were dive bombing each other to get to the nectar feeder. One little, gutsy female was fighting off all the others....males included! She even took up a post on top of the shepherd's hook that the feeder is hung on, looking left and right watching for any intruders that would dare to try and sip from HER feeder!

As for my little monarch caterpillar (no, I didn't name him!) he is growing by leaps and bounds! Thankfully I have been able to keep him stashed with plenty of milkweed leaves! The girl that works next to me brought hers in to work this morning because it broke out of its cocoon this morning and once the wings are dried, needed to be let loose. We kept watching it from time to time as we worked, but the beautiful creature just hung from the roof of the butterfly box. Once we stepped outdoors to go home however, it came to life and started to flutter its wings. I had the priviledge to coaxing it onto my hand and take it out of the box as my co-worker is afraid of "insects". How beautiful it was to watch it take flight from my hand and gracefully flutter away! The one we let go was a female butterfly because it had dotted wings all around the edges. The male has solid black on the back edges. (At least I think that's what I read!) Now I can't wait for mine to get to the butterfly stage!

1 comment:

Brenda Yarborough said...

I love your blog! Your sketches are incredible and your dialogue is delightful! I live in southern CA and have hummers year-round and YES, they are territorial and I laughed at your description of how the one perched on the shepherds hook and the little head is darting back and forth--sounds EXACTLY like my hummers!!