Friday, July 13, 2007
Another Barn
I absolutely love drawing old barns! This one was sketched first in 2b pencil then detailed in pen and ink. I fell in love with the original 1943 lithograph "Barns at Glen Gardner" by artist, Wanda Gag when I was looking through some books on Barns and decided to include it as one of my art studies on old barns. It took me approximately 5 hours to complete. I'm beginning to love working with pen and ink and it is sooooo much easier than I thought it would be! I just may try doing another on larger paper so that I can frame it. The Pen and Ink Techniques book says that a pen and ink sketch looks better framed if the picture doesn't go all the way to the edge of the paper. Thanks to the EDM group for inspiring me to start drawing again! I hadn't picked up the pen to draw in 2 years until I found them. THANKS to everyone for the inspiration you have given me with all your wonderful art!!


Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
Beautiful work, Joyce, no wonder you're happy with it. The line quality gives it so much life!
It's a great work indeed! 5 hours?! Wow! Amazing.
This is really wonderful! I love your attention to detail. You really are developing quite a style of your own, too. Which pen and ink book are you referring to? Can you giveme the title and author please?
I love the process of doing the pen and ink drawings, too! Just started myself--did my first building and got lost in time doing it. This barn you did is really good! Yes--maybe you could try drawing a larger one and frame it--but you could frame this one!! It's really good!
Always, Rita
your barn drawings are beautiful! I'm a pen & ink fan too. amongst other things, my most recent purchase has been a bottle of white ink and i'm looking forward to trying that out.
This barn drawing is really great.
It's just beautiful! I agree, you are developing a lovely and unique style.
WOW WOW WOW! I love the strong curvy patterns in this one. It is positively ALIVE with movement (and weirdly, even tho it is pen, the combination of strokes in the paths make it look like one of Van Gogh's oil paintings). Great sketch!
Joyce, it really shows that you love doing this subject in this medium! What a wonderful piece of work!
Awesome work! The finished piece reminds me of a woodcut. This is beautiful.
Wonderful composition - leading one's eyes so comfortably around the picture and great mix of lights and darks. A really awesome effort.
Post a Comment