Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Pen and Ink studies of barns



Being the "country girl" that I am, barns are one of the few buildings that I love to draw. My problem is that after I spend so much time in drawing in pen and ink, I am afraid to try watercolors on them for fear of ruining the drawing! I definitely need more work on drawing trees and the leaves. I overworked the 1st drawing to the point of ruining the values of the picture as a whole.
I love drawing in pen and ink and enjoy it even more than graphite. All three of these were drawn without the pencil sketch first and even though there are blantant errors, I really don't mind them! These were practice sketches I did from the book "Pen and Ink Techniques" by Frank Lohan. My next barn sketch I want to try from a photo. There aren't many barns here that have this much character and I would feel funny (and a bit unsafe) sitting along the side of a country road sketching all by myself!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow! great barns! You might consider photocopying your drawing (perhaps more than once and trying out the watercolor on the copy...or you could lay clear acetate over the drawing and paint on that.....just a thought...they're great as they are!.....deni.......;)

Joan Y said...

Joy, this is great! Actually, the trees nicely frame the barn so I like it just the way it is!

Lynn Larson said...

Absolutley wonderful!! Perspective is great, and i love the compositions! Why add color when you have it so good in black and white :) - Lynn

Linda T said...

These are great. I love the design of the picture and the detailed lines. I'd try the suggestion of making a photocopy and adding watercolor.

juj said...

I think these are all very nice, and I really don't see a problem with the values on the first one but I do prefer all the negative space in the top one with the single tree. It's also a very balanced composition - tall tree versus dark shadow. Well done. I also like the little birds you've included in all of them.

Linda said...

These are great! I don't think you NEED to add watercolor to them, either!

Anonymous said...

These are such charming little scenes. I know what you mean about the trees, but you will get better at it. I love these!