The weather has been so beautiful these past couple of days! Last night we opened all the windows and enjoyed the cooler temps. After it had turned dark, we retired to the bedroom and DH promptly fell asleep so I had planned to do some sketching, but a noise from outside caught my attention...a sound that made my hair stand on end. I went to the kitchen window and listened...off in the near distance (probably on the other side of the field behind our house) was a howling...but it certainly didn't sound like a dog, and besides, there are no houses in the direction of the howl. This was a very high pitched, wavery howl.....the only animal I can think of in this area that would howl like that is a coyote. I slipped out the patio door and stood on the deck and listened. It spooked me so bad that I quickly came back inside and locked the door. I stood again at the kitchen window and hear muffled yelping VERY near. Got to remember to keep an eye on our dog Casey when I let her out in the middle of the night!!
This morning...another gorgeous morning... I had the pleasure of sitting on the deck listening to the birds chirping. Jays, finches, cardinals and the most distinct, the cry of a hawk down in the woods. I never realized they had two very different distinct sounds and wasn't sure what it was until it took off from a grove of trees beside the house and landed in a tree in our woods. There it sat for a long time, crying....
Didn't get much sketching done this week...just the two below. I stopped off at the library this morning and came home with an armload of books. Pen and Ink Sketching by Peter Caldwell; Drawing in Pen & Ink by Claudia Nice; Creative Pen & Ink Techniques; and The Drawing Handbook by Frank Lohan. This should keep me busy for a while!
(Seems these scanned darker than the original sketches so I tried to do a white "fill" on the picture of the girl with lamb. Looks like I missed a couple of dark spots! Oh well, at least you can get an idea of the finished sketch!)
2 comments:
Great sketches - I love all the detail. Sounds like you had an exciting night - coyotes sound so unreal, don't they? Little tip for your scanner issues - if a picture looks too dark adjust the levels in Photoshop (or whatever photo editing program your using). Go to levels, take the little white eyedropper and click on the part that should be the whitest. The software will do the rest!
Once you're done reading all the drawing books, would you be so kind as to review them for the EDM group? I'd be interested in knowing which you found most useful.
And as I said in an earlier post - awesome drawings.....
-Sue aka icemoosey
Post a Comment